Tourist attraction within the State:
The Hadejia-Nguru and Baturiya flood plain wetlands (as showed on map) both of which are within the emirate, are highly recognised by nature conscious individuals and organisations the world over as the best wetlands in Nigeria that provide rare convenience as natural habitat for a large variety of birds, especially the migratory ones that annually come in to Nigeria, across the Sahara desert from western Europe to escape the harsh cold weather during the winter season. A large variety of reptiles are also found provide good means of livelihood for the birds.
The complex ecological settings of the wetlands provide beaut at its best in all manner of wildlife habitat. The contrasting scenario of extensive water bodies, chains of ponds of marvellous shapes and sizes, the rich vegetation cover in relation to the very dry general environment obtained on the fringes of the Sahara desert make the wetlands a beauty to behold. Even though intense population pressure and regulated flow of water in to the Hadejia River System have combined to reduce the tourism attraction of the wetlands, there is still tremendous potential for the growth and development of flourishing tourism industry around the wetlands.
In recognition of the importance and tourism potential of the area and in an effort to conserve its rich wildlife and their habitat, the Kano State Government in 1985, carved out the area of Baturiya wetlands and reserved it as Birds sanctuary. In 1987 the Nigerian Conservation foundation (NCF) in collaboration with several international conservation agencies such as the royal society for the protection of Birds (RSPB), the international Union for the conservation of nature and natural resource (IUCN) and the International council for Birds preservation (ICBP) established the Hadejia-Nguru Wetland conservation Project that covered much of the lower reaches of the flood plain wetlands in the emirate and extended to parts of both Yobe and Bauchi State.
Kabarin Mai tumbi (Captain Philips's Tomb)
This is the gravesite of Captain Philips, an Assistant Resident Officer and leader of the British imperial troops that invaded and occupied Hadejia in 1906, as part of British conquest and occupation of Northern Nigeria.
Captain Philips, locally called maitumbi (pot-bellied), made his first entry to Hadejia on 16th December 1903 on his way from Machina to Katagum, where British rule had already been established. By that time most of the emirates in Sokoto Caliphate had been conquered and overrun by the British, with their rulers either killed or deposed and exiled. Hadejia Emirate, however, was one of the very few exceptions, though its rulers and people were quite aware of what had happened to their fellow brothers and sisters in those conquered emirates. Under the circumstances, Captain Philips was given a cold reception, and he continued with his journey to Katagum, from where he made all necessary plans to bring Hadejia under the British fold.
After several unsuccessful attempts, Captain Philips finally succeeded in getting permission to enter Hadejia, where he stayed for eight days at the residence of the Zangoma of Hadejia. This gave him an opportunity to establish contact with some important personalities including the Emir. Early in the 1904 he was made an Assistant Resident in-charge of Katagum sub-province, with headquarters at Katagum. From Katagum he continued to frequent Hadejia with a view to wooing the emirate to submit to British rule. He at least succeeded in getting permission from Hadejia rulers to build a residence in the town at a place called tsamiya hudu. The place eventually became a meeting point between Hadejia rulers and the British officials who frequented Hadejia from Katagum in an effort to persuade Hadejia to submit.
Captain Philips also succeeded in getting approval from the Emir to relocate his residence to a new place outside the eastern gate. He also built an office and an army barrack at the same place in January 1905, after assuring the Emir that his soldiers were not to be used against Hadejia, rather they were to serve as a protection against French troops from Zinder. From his new base at bariki Captain Philips continued his visits to the town, including to the Emir’s palace. This enabled him to collect more intelligence report on Hadejia, and its local politics. When war finally broke out between Hadejia and the British in 1906, it was Captain Philips who led the British forces in what has generally come to be regarded as the fiercest and most brutal British campaign in the entire Sokoto Caliphate. In the course of the war, Captain Philips tried to personally capture Emir Muhammadu Mai Shahada but was fatally stabbed and injured by the Emir in self defence. He later died of his injuries on 12th September 1906, and was buried together with other British casualties at a place very close to the barrack, now called bariki or old G.R.A in Hadejia. Kabarin Maitumabi now stands as a symbol of resistance by the people of Hadejia against a foreign invasion. It also signifies the noble effort by the people of Hadejia to defend and protect their religion, their independence, and their way of life as is expected of every muslim.